Monday, April 17, 2006

Exodus

Excerpt from the April 13th Speaking of Faith episode:

"Let's talk about the very mysterious name of God, when Moses encounters God in the burning bush he says 'Who shall I tell them I saw?' and the name that comes back now, it's often translated in English 'I am who I am,' I've also heard it translated 'I am becoming who I am becoming.' How do you read what is said?"

Avivah Zornberg: "Literally it just means 'I will be who I will be,' and I think there's no getting around it--some of these translations are just mistranslations...In fact God is being evasive. God is saying I'm not giving you a handle. You want a handle, to say 'I've got Him'--that's a name.
Instead it means I am the very principle of becoming; of allowing the possible to happen."

+ + +

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home