Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Prayin till the cows come home

OK, i admit it. I'm a sucky pray-er. I've never been the meditative type--sure, i spend a lot of time thinking but my most productive thinking is done out loud, to someone with whom I'm engaged in conversation. I always feel like i'm missing something when I think too much on my own. But honestly, it never really bothered me that the only times i'm solely focused on God in prayer tends to be in church (when i'm surrounded by people who are theoretically praying as well) or when I'm praying out loud in a group. Why? Hopefully by the end of this post i'll have that figured out...

I pulled out the trusy concordance (i.e. biblegateway.com) and thought it was funny that I got 365 responses including 'pray'...one for each day?
Here's a sampling (NIV):
Genesis 20:17Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could have children again
Exodus 8:9Moses said to Pharaoh, "I leave to you the honor of setting the time for me to pray for you and your officials and your people that you and your houses may be rid of the frogs, except for those that remain in the Nile."
Deuteronomy 4:7What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the LORD our God is near us whenever we pray to him?
1 Samuel 1:10In bitterness of soul Hannah wept much and prayed to the LORD.
1 Samuel 1:13Hannah was praying in her heart, and her lips were moving but her voice was not heard. Eli thought she was drunk
1 Kings 18:36At the time of sacrifice, the prophet Elijah stepped forward and prayed: "O LORD, God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known today that you are God in Israel and that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command.
2 Kings 4:33 He went in, shut the door on the two of them and prayed to the LORD.
2 Chronicles 7:14if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Nehemiah 1:4When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.
Job 21:15Who is the Almighty, that we should serve him? What would we gain by praying to him?'
Psalm 109:4In return for my friendship they accuse me, but I am a man of prayer.
Proverbs 15:29The LORD is far from the wicked but he hears the prayer of the righteous.
Isaiah 44:17From the rest he makes a god, his idol; he bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, "Save me; you are my god."
Jonah 2:7"When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple.
Matthew 5:44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Matthew 6:5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full.
Mark 11:25And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."
Mark 14:35Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him.
John 17:20"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message
Acts 1:14They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.
Acts 10:2He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.
Romans 12:12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Romans 15:30I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.
2 Corinthians 9:14And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.
Ephesians 1:16I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
Ephesians 6:18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.
Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
1 Timothy 2:8I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.

You know, I think this is going to be a two part entry. Let's think this over, pray about it, and continue soon! :-)

2 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, Blogger Caitlin said...

Interesting. Especially when I find personal prayer to play a central role in my faith. Perhaps we should discuss.

By the way Kristina, your blog rocks. Sorry I have stayed silent for so long.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Kelsey said...

first off, thanks for the comforting words! my grandpa is doing a bit better now- hopefully soon he will have all of his physical and mental functions back.

all of your biblical quotations reminded me of a bible rap video i saw online called "baby got book." it can be found here. i thought you might enjoy it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home