Friday, January 20, 2006

Why I love Dartmouth

A few sound bytes from my time here (spoken by a wide variety of people): [brackets surround the context that may be helpful].

"It took me forever to find any pregnant worms today."

"OK, good, thanks for your help guys. So here's enough Lasagna trays for 400 people, in this warmer [a 6' tall, 3' deep chest of heaver plastic, resembling a freezer]. See those tiki torches over there? [Points across 500 yards of hilly, icy, snow covered golf course]. Just get this over there and meet me at the welcome tent in 15 minutes." [jogs away]
...[much grunting noise]. "I don't think we can carry this, guys." [snowmobile drives up] "Yes, a lasagnamobile!"

"Well, I sort of told my parents I was going to France because that's where my connection was. Then I flew to Cameroon."

Email correspondance among Darfur Action group exec committee:
"I can't make the exec meeting because I'm having lunch with President Wright...if there's anything i should bring up, let me know."
Response: "I can't make it either because I'm having lunch with Kofi Anaan. If there's anything i should bring up, let me know."

[Insults in the suite go something like this:] "You degenerate jerk!"
"Sorry, it's just been inculcated in me since birth." "I cannot believe you just said inculcated."

"Have you gotten the chance to sign the petition to stop funding genocide in Sudan?" "Well, I'm not sure if ..." [the kid's friend:] "What kind of person are you, man! You support genocide? Sign the petition dude! --Hey, I'm really sorry my friend is such a jerk." [the friend:] "I just wanna learn more about it before I sign, ok? Do you have any more info I could read up on?"

[iceclimbing PE class] "The turn is right here, right by this big no tresspassing sign." "So this is a superfund site?" "Yeah, supposedly has toxic levels of arsenic, iron, and copper. But I've swum in the river, it's fine. Real cool turqoise color. Just don't drink it."

[6 am greeting] "Good morning." "Good night."

[11:16pm] "Hey, is your roommate around?" "Um, I think she's taking a nap."

[1 am] "Are you sure it's not too late?" "Oh, this is an ethnic party. They'll be going strong till 3 at least."

[while covering doorway with red, white and blue postal tape] "She's from Indonesia, right? She'll love the British flag."

"Man, I wanna come but I should probably start this 8 page paper." "When's it due?" "In 5 hours."

[0 degrees Fahrenheit, 10pm, camped 1.5 miles from Hanover on the Appalachian Trail, no fire, 3 inches of snow, crawling into sleeping bags] "Guys, I really have want some icecream." [minutes later]. "We could make it to the Co-Op and back in an hour and a half." [minutes later]. "I'm serious. Let's go."

"Hey, tell me your life story." "Oh, it's not that interesting. I was born in Australia, sailed to the U.S. till I was 7 or 8 and have pretty much spent the rest of my life putsing around the Bahamas."

[band cheer] "2, 4, 6, 8, our team is really great! 3, 5, 7, 9, you all lead petty little lives and live in a cultural wasteland, FIGHT!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home